Another area that can cause obstacle to our prayer is when we are not committed to the things of God. When you are committed to God, He will be committed to you. When you are committed to God, your cry will become His cry, your tears will become His tears, your needs will become His needs, your well being will become His own. Commitment is the backbone of success. The blood of Jesus Christ don’t work without commitment. Commitment will bring trust.
Commitment is dedicating yourself to something, a person or a cause. Forgoing what you love for the sake of other. Commitment start from the heart and later it is followed by action. It is Commitment that will make you to forsake your interest and what you love for the sake of others. Commitment has to be with force from your inner mind and not from anyone else.
When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it – Mark 8 : 34 – 35.
Jesus Christ said ”whoever desires to come after Him should deny himself”. Commitment is a choice. He did not say that the pastor, the teacher, the prophet nor the church leader has to force you but rather if YOU desire to follow Him. When you expect the church leader or the pastor to tell you to take your responsibilities instead of you taking it without anyone telling you to take it, is because you are not committed. God does not want 99.99% of our commitment but rather 100%.
A father cannot take the cross of his child no matter how much he care for the child neither a husband nor the wife can take the cross of his or her spouse despite the love that co-exist between them. Taking of the cross must be personal.
Objective brings commitment. Most times, we feel that we are commitment to God but in reality, we are not. When your purpose and objective of going to church is to make heaven, you will be more committed to the things of God. You have a calling and your calling might not be in the pulpit it does not mean that if your calling is not in the pulpit that you cannot make heaven. Use your calling to glorify God anywhere you are and in any opportunity that comes your way.
Before you know God, you might not have the same wisdom that you now have since you accepted Christ as your Lord and personal savior. When you now know Him even if you are not use to being committed to something before, but He now expect you to be committed to His work and His people.
The bible says, And no one puts new wine into old wineskins or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins – Mark 2 : 22.
Since you now know Him, you are now a new creature because old things are passed away. Commitment will make you to do those things that you are not used to. It will make you to abandon those things that you like most.
– Commitment made Abram to leave his father’s house as God instructed him when he was 75 years old – Genesis 12 : 1-4
– Commitment made Abram to nearly sacrifice Isaac as God instructed him – Genesis 22 : 1-7
– Commitment will make you to separate from your old ways, from your friends and even from your relatives.
– Commitment made Abram to separate himself from Lot – Genesis 13 : 14.
Commitment brings security. Abram lied to Abimelech that Sarah his wife was his sister when they entered into Gerar and God came to Abimelech in the night and warned him that Sarah was another man’s wife – Genesis 20 : 1-8.
– Commitment make you to pray even when you are not in the mood to pray – 1 Thessalonians 5 : 17 – Pray without ceasing.
– Commitment will make you to fast even when your body said you cannot do it and the impossible will become possible
– Commitment made Esther and her fellow Jews to fasted for three days and the king’s law was changed – Esther 5 : 1 – end.
– Commitment will make you to ask from Him a great blessing. Elisha asked of Elijah double portion of his anointing. Elisha refused to wait for Elijah in Bethel, in Jericho and in Jordan. Because of his commitment to receive and he received that which he desired – 2 Kings 2 : 1 – 11.
PRAYER : Heavenly Father, I praise You for the opportunity You gave me to know You. I want to be committed to You O Lord. Help me to overcome every obstacle that will make me not to be committed to You in the name of Jesus Christ.